Essential Bathroom Renovations Checklist
Just like renovations carried out in the basement or any other room, Calgary bathroom renovations may prove to be a daunting task. It is important to think over the plan carefully to avoid making costly mistakes. Here is a checklist that will guide the Calgary bathroom renovations process.
- Making a budget
The first step is determining what you can afford and what you dream bathroom will cost. One of the benefits of drawing a budget is that it shows the gap between reality and imagination. It also serves as a pointer to determining priorities.
Here is a simple tip on how to draw a budget: Use a simple spreadsheet with columns for the cost of materials, estimated budget and other cost associated with the remodeling project.
- Get ready for disturbance
How long will the project take? Do you have an alternative bathroom to use in the meantime? How comfortably can you handle the contractors in and out of your home?
Time taken will depend on factors such as the competence of the contractor and the scope of work. Simple redecoration tasks will take a shorter time compared to construction and demolition projects.
- Assess the current condition of the bathroom
Do you need to upgrade the plumbing or electrical elements? Will you need valves, PVC pipes, and connectors? What other aspects will you need during the upgrade?
Check the room for mildew and mould growth. Determine if there are any inbuilt features and furniture that needs to be removed. A quick inspection allows homeowners to anticipate potential problems. It also unearths issues that may be behind the existing walls, floor or ceiling problems.
- Focus on the function
Who will use the new bathroom? Will it be used by the family members or guests? Will it be used for any other purposes such as a dressing room or laundry room?
Appearance and beauty are important the function beats everything. A poorly designed bathroom may look good, but it lacks value.
- Measure and record
It is important to take the measurements of the space and keep a record of them. The dimensions of the room such as the height and width of the door and ceiling height will prove helpful when it comes to providing measurements for flooring, drywall, and framing.
It is also important to get measurements for the existing showers and tubs. The measurements will assist when it comes assessing the cost and choosing plumbing features and fixtures that will fit the work space.
- Research on products and ideas
The Internet is a minefield of information. There is plenty of information on the products and bathroom designs needed for the renovation. After identifying a particular design, research on the different manufacturers offering the product. Have a look at the various trends and styles they come in. While at it, focus on issues such as quality, price, availability and warranty before making the final decision.
- Building codes
Familiarize yourself with the building code in your locality. Most homeowners will discuss such issues with their contractors. However, it is important to have a rough idea of what is expected.
Ideal Home Improvement Areas Around The Home
If you are looking to improve certain parts of your home, it is crucial that you need to know where to start. There are actually many ideal home improvement areas around the home where you might like to start with your home improvement projects. Here are just a few of them:
- Kitchen – doing some kitchen renovations on your kitchen area may help in raising up the overall value of your home. Simple repainting works or replacing old equipment, appliance, and/or cabinets will help give your kitchen area the update it needs to make it look more modern. Ask any real estate agent and they will surely enlighten you how a kitchen can help in making or breaking a sale. If you have plans of selling your home in the near future, this type of home improvement will certainly help in making the sale.
- Bathroom – although the bathroom is not the area of the home where most of your guest gets to see, doing bathroom renovations for the purpose of keeping it up-to-date helps make bathing and doing your bathroom business all the more pleasurable. Also, if you have plans of selling your home in the near future, certain bathroom updates can actually help in selling the home.
- Basement – developing the basement into a more usable area can greatly help in raising the overall value of your property. It not only gives you the extra space you need in your home as you can literally have the basement developed into an area that you may have always wanted, but it actually may also become a selling point should you decide to sell your home. Basement builders and developers can actually help in designing, developing, and rebuilding your whole basement area.
- Garage – another part of your home that you may not have given much thought of improving is your garage. The truth is that whether you are a car guy or not, a good and well-designed garage area may prove to be a worthwhile home improvement project. There are plenty of garage builders that you can hire to help make your garage looking great and very usable. They can even add the storage areas you need to store many of the things that you usually will have just lying around.